Let's Reveiw! Birch Aquarium

 ⭐⭐⭐⭐✫ 

4/5 Stars Good place to visit!

Website: Birch Aquarium at Scripps | Home (ucsd.edu)

Kid Age: All Ages

Time: 2-3 hours


    Beautiful little aquarium.  We've been to many an aquarium, and while some exhibits are truly beautiful, others could use some improvement.  I find the price to be on the higher side for what you get.  Definitely consider a membership if you will be going more than once, your most cost-effective option.  There is a small parking lot out front (free) Bathrooms are before you enter as well as a small snack kiosk.


    The aquariums to the right of the entrance are truly beautiful and well put together.  This last trip we went in the afternoon and the octopus was wiggling all over its tank, the sea turtle was out and about and most of the fish seemed quite lively.  The Giant kelp tank was definitely the highlight.  
    The outside touch tank area has many little tides pool exhibits but they seemed more just decoration, hard for the littles to climb up and see inside.  Though on our latest visit that had some staff out there helping kids see and touch inside the larger pools.  The views of La Jolla from there are gorgeous and such a beautiful spot to sit and look out for certain.  The actual touch tanks (non-pools area) are small and can be crowded with a line leading into them.  
     The left side of the aquarium has a large section of learning for the older kids and then the beautiful tanks with all the sea horses.  The large camouflage tank in the dark room with the comfy stools was the kids favorite.  The second outside area houses the shark tank, which seemed a bit lackluster.  The sharks were almost an afterthought vice an actual attraction.   There are a few tables and chairs out by the sharks if you've brought a small snack or picnic lunch.

     

    The aquarium received only 4/5 stars due to price and their unfortunate planning for strollers in the new penguin section.  Let me explain.  The aquarium is stroller friendly, and I am able to take my infant throughout all of it except the newest area.  The staff member at the door stopped me and explained that strollers were not allowed in the new area.  He was very kind, but direct and firm on this rule.  He directed me to park my stroller in the main lobby.  I explained that I was visiting with my 6-, 3-, and 3-month-old (at the time).  That I was also pumping on the go, needed the stroller as I was currently attached to it via the spectra pump, my infant was in the car seat insert sleeping (thankfully).  Trying to detach all of that seemed a bit much.   He again informed me no strollers allowed no matter the reason.  Ok then, I guess we will miss the tiny penguins.  The staff was kind and it's not his fault he has to enforce this rule.  It just seems silly that an aquarium, a place who gains most of its ticket sales from families, would create a whole new area that is inaccessible by strollers.  That seems like truly poor planning and design.  I was unable to enter that area so I cannot give a good review of it.  

**Update we went again just recently and while i did park my stroller (husband was along for this outing and was able to help with all our stuff) I saw multiple people pushing their strollers in the new area.  I'm unsure if there was a rule change or if they were simply not as strict this time.  








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Review! -San Diego Zoo

Let’s Review! Coaster train ride to Oceanside!

Let's Review! Pumpkin Station; in Rancho Bernardo